The Chief Executive of Hong Kong announced Thursday that 500,000 airline tickets will be distributed to visitors from around the world and at least one million spending tickets will be given out to tourists to attract them to Hong Kong.
The Chief Executive, John Lee, attended the “Hello Hong Kong” event on Thursday to promote Hong Kong to the world, at which he revealed the provision of 500,000 free air tickets to attract visitors from Mainland China and around the world.
“Hong Kong is already connected to Mainland China and has renewed ties with overseas countries, and welcomes visitors, entrepreneurs and innovators to Hong Kong,” he said.
The tickets – purchased from a variety of global airlines – will be distributed in stages over the next six months, with Hong Kong residents also having the opportunity to receive free tickets although a higher percentage of overseas travellers will receive them. The tickets will be distributed mainly to Asian travellers including those from Mainland China, as well as European and American travellers.
The Hong Kong Government is also planning to distribute one million spending tickets to travellers for use at over 130 retail and dining outlets in Hong Kong.
“This, ladies and gentlemen, is probably the world’s biggest welcome ever,” Lee said.
“Beyond our well-known shopping and dining paradise, we will introduce our guests to the new and magnificent Hong Kong Palace Museum and M+ museum at the burgeoning West Kowloon Cultural District; a scenic ride on the latest generation of our Peak Tram and the brand new “Crystal+” Ngong Ping 360 cable car; new attractions at the Ocean Park and the Hong Kong Disneyland Resort; or quite simply, many more ways to take a deep breath and enjoy our great outdoors.
“And they can also take advantage of an array of special offers, vouchers and other incentives to make their experience in Hong Kong all the more fantastic and memorable.”
Since October last year, Hong Kong has abolished its mandatory hotel quarantine measures and relaxed testing requirements for overseas arrivals in December. On 8 January this year, border crossings between Hong Kong, Macau and mainland China were officially restored.
The Macau government has also introduced concessionary measures for visitors, including a scheme for Hong Kong visitors to receive a free return ferry or bus ticket when they purchase a one-way ticket to Macau and stay for at least one night.