• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Monday 1 September 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Reports claim Macau Jockey Club could be running its last race

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Wed 23 Aug 2023 at 05:27
Macau Jockey Club’s accumulated losses climb by another US$25 million in 2022
165
SHARES
4.1k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The future of horse racing in Macau could be under imminent threat amid reports that trainers and officials fear the Macau Jockey Club (MJC) will soon lose its right to run racing in the SAR.

According to Asian Racing Report, the number of horses in Macau has now fallen to around 220 from a high of 1,200 two decades ago, while the number of races per year has also dropped from 1,200 back in 2003 – more than Hong Kong held at that time – to just a single meet with a handful of races each week.

IAG has also spoken to MJC employees who claim the organization has not increased its staff count post-pandemic and has stopped the recruitment process completely for new staff.

Asian Racing Report says there are genuine concerns among officials that Saturday’s season finale could be venue’s last, with sources telling the outlet they believe MJC chairman Angela Leong has been asked to “show cause” to the government for failure to satisfactorily upgrade facilities as was promised when MJC was granted a 24-year concession extension in February 2018.

For its part, MJC claimed earlier this year to have completed some renovation works including renovating its swimming pool for horses, their stables, completing upgrades to the first to fifth floors of the main racing building, and some improvements to the racetrack and replacements of computer systems.

Nevertheless, one trainer told Asian Racing Report, “We still haven’t heard when the first meeting of next season will be and we would normally know by now. We are hearing that staff cuts could be coming soon. We do not know what is happening. Is the club cutting costs in an effort to keep going? Or is it a sign that the end is near? Even the officials don’t seem to know. We just want clarity.”

It is also reported that a shipment of 30 horses bound for Macau from Australia was sent away from a Sydney quarantine facility in July on orders of Macau authorities.

These latest concerns come after MJC recently reported accumulated losses of MOP$2.1 billion (US$260 million) through 2022, representing an increase of around MOP$200 million (US$25 million) over the past 12 months. MJC said it recorded a decline in horse racing revenue last year to MOP$39 million (US$4.8 million), down from MOP$47 million (US$5.8 million) in 2021.

MJC had in 2018 pledged to invest MOP$1.5 billion (US$186 million) to upgrade facilities, including hotels and restaurants, in return for the 24-year extension through 31 August 2042 – a massive jump on the six-month extension it had previously been granted in August 2017 and the two-year extension it was granted in September 2015.

It had been hoped that the lengthy concession would help the MJC improve its dire financial position, with Macau Horse Racing Co – the entity that holds the concession – having booked a loss every single year since 2005, reaching accumulated losses of MOP$4.1 billion (US$507 million) by 2016.

Management said it wants to make the MJC a “must-visit tourism and entertainment landmark for both tourists and local residents.”

Should MJC truly be on its last legs, it will join Singapore in shutting down the industry after the Ministry of Finance and Ministry of National Development confirmed the Singapore Turf Club would host its final race meeting in October 2024, citing a need to make better use of the 120 hectares of land it occupies for Singapore’s future needs.

RelatedPosts

Macau Legend says no concerns over ability to continue after reaching agreement with lenders to defer HK$2.1 billion in looming repayments

Macau Legend reports US$182 million loss in 1H25 as imminent cessation of satellite casino operations add to going concern uncertainties

Mon 1 Sep 2025 at 06:08
Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45
Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

SJM still in discussions over acquisition of Macau satellite casinos Ponte 16 and L’Arc

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:43
Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:32
Load More
Tags: Angela Leongconcessionhorse racingMacauMacau Jockey Club
Share66Share12
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

Macau Legend says no concerns over ability to continue after reaching agreement with lenders to defer HK$2.1 billion in looming repayments

Macau Legend reports US$182 million loss in 1H25 as imminent cessation of satellite casino operations add to going concern uncertainties

by Ben Blaschke
Mon 1 Sep 2025 at 06:08

Macau Legend Development Ltd, the owner and operator of satellite casino Legend Palace and its surrounding Macau Fisherman’s Wharf precinct, has detailed multiple uncertainties relating to its ability to continue as a going concern after reported a loss of HK$1.42...

China’s largest travel agency discussing agreement with Korea Tourism Organization

South Korea’s gaming and tourism industries call for overhaul of regulatory framework amid rising regional competition

by Newsdesk
Mon 1 Sep 2025 at 05:34

Representatives of South Korea’s tourism and casino industries have called for an overhaul of the country’s regulatory framework, arguing that integrated resorts with casino gaming must be fully utilized in order to boost international tourism. According to a report from...

Summit Ascent shareholders pave way for Suncity to take majority stake

LET Group and Summit Ascent report improved 1H25 performance on Tigre de Cristal upgrades, addition of export business in Russia

by Newsdesk
Mon 1 Sep 2025 at 05:16

Summit Ascent Holdings and its parent company LET Group reported a 64.7% increase in revenue to HK$312.9 million (US$40.1 million) in the first six months of 2025, aided by the improved performance of their Russian integrated resort Tigre de Cristal...

The Star Sydney’s casino license in limbo as final report from second inquiry handed to regulator

Son of Star’s largest shareholder joins Star Entertainment Group board as non-executive director

by Newsdesk
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 09:16

Troubled Star Entertainment Group has announced the appointment of Bruce Mathieson Jr – the son of Australian pub baron and Star’s largest shareholder Bruce Mathieson – as a non-executive director of the company, subject to regulatory approvals. Mathieson Jr, currently...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English