• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Saturday 29 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Robert Goldstein: Sands China to invest “a lot more” into Macau than pledged to Macau government

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Sun 28 May 2023 at 23:25
Is Macau still investible?
47
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Sands China, the local subsidiary of global gaming giant Las Vegas Sands, will invest “a lot more” into Macau than pledged under its new 10-year concession contract, the company’s Chairman and CEO, Robert Goldstein, has revealed.

Goldstein was speaking with US business media outlet CNBC ahead of last week’s launch of The Londoner Macao – a US$2 billion transformation of the former Sands Cotai Central. Sands China has also pledged to spend another MOP$30.2 billion (US$3.8 billion) during its current concession contract, of which MOP$27.8 billion (US$3.5 billion), around 92%, is planned to be in non-gaming initiatives.

Asked in a lengthy interview with CNBC to explain some of the company’s planned non-gaming investments, Goldstein replied, “It’s irrelevant because we pledged what we pledged, but we’re going to spend much more than that.

“This idea that we pledged US$3 billion or US$4 billion is irrelevant because we are going to spend a lot more than that in Macau if we are able to. We are here for the long-haul and we’ve always been a believer in this market. Our actions speak very loudly.

“We invested billions in this market in 2019 when everyone said you can’t invest before the licenses are renewed. Sheldon [Adelson, the late founder of Las Vegas Sands] never worried about that. He said ‘We’ll be fine in Macau for years to come’ and we were.

“All these doom and gloom forecasts about what was going to happen to the licensing process ended up being nonsense. We have a 10-year license and we hope to be here for many years beyond that and we’ll invest heavily beyond our commitment to the government.

“Given the approval we’ll build more buildings here and more non-gaming amenities. The fact that we’re sitting in Cotai is due to Sheldon’s vision of building huge scale resorts.”

Goldstein also offered his observations on the changing face of the Macau market, including his belief that gaming revenues are unlikely to return to pre-COVID levels following the collapse of the junket industry.

“Pre-pandemic we had a very large junket segment, which is now gone, but that segment created very high numbers in terms of revenues although less success in terms of bottom line and EBITDA income,” he said.

“We live in a new world today. I don’t know if we’ll reach the same levels of top-line [revenue] but I think we can exceed the EBITDA numbers of 2019. I don’t know if that will happen in 2023 or 2024 or 2025, I don’t have a crystal ball, all I know is the trajectory right now for profitability and revenues is through the roof and everyone is happy with the numbers.

“The May numbers will come out [this week] and I assume they’ll be the highest numbers since we reopened. We believe in the quality of product, our people, our hospitality to drive our business and we’re very, very comfortable where we will end up in Macau in the long-term.

“But will it be in July? This idea of predicting definite timing is unnecessary. We know we’ll get there – the road is clear.”

RelatedPosts

10 Years Ago – Buying the house

10 Years Ago – Buying the house

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 15:30
Galaxy unveils strategic cooperation agreement with TME Live to bring world-class events to Galaxy Arena

Citigroup: Concert-hosting concessionaires to enjoy above-industry EBITDA growth in the long run

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 12:18
Emperor Group to target Macau’s premium mass market after 2019 revenue decline

Emperor E sees 30% decline in gaming revenue at Macau’s Grand Emperor in final full six months of satellite casino operations

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 05:26
IAG releases official post-event highlights videos from 2025 Asian Gaming Power 50 Gala Dinner at Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau

IAG releases official post-event highlights videos from 2025 Asian Gaming Power 50 Gala Dinner at Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 04:44
Load More
Tags: Las Vegas SandsMacauRobert GoldsteinSands China
Share19Share3
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33

Hong Kong-listed Palasino Holdings Limited, the former gaming arm of real estate group Far East Consortium, reported an 8% increase in revenue to HK$305 million (US$39.2 million) in the six months to 30 September 2025 – primarily attributable to an...

1xBet Becomes the first Official Betting Partner of MIBR’s VALORANT esports team

1xBet Becomes the first Official Betting Partner of MIBR’s VALORANT esports team

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:34

1xBet has signed a partnership with the VALORANT roster of esports powerhouse MIBR, becoming the first-ever official betting partner in the Riot Games ecosystem, the company said overnight. Under the partnership, 1xBet and MIBR will focus on creating a new,...

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:29

Genting Berhad’s US flagship, Resorts World Las Vegas, suffered another depressed quarter in 3Q25, with revenue declining 1% year-on-year and 3% quarter-on-quarter to US$175 million, The property also fell to an EBITDA loss of US$12 million compared with a gain...

Malaysia’s Resorts World Genting shuts two of its three casinos

Genting Malaysia warms up for New York license reveal with strong 3Q25 beat on improved gaming revenues at Resorts World Genting

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:05

Genting Malaysia comfortably beat forecasts in the three months to 30 September 2025, with group-wide revenues rising 22% year-on-year to MYR3.36 billion (US$813 million) on higher gaming revenues at flagship Resorts World Genting – particularly in the VIP segment. Although...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English