• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 31 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Macau COVID-19 outbreak to see GGR fall to near-zero, cause further liquidity headaches

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Mon 20 Jun 2022 at 11:27
Credit Suisse warns of Macau casino liability over HK$30 billion to HK$50 billion in frozen junket deposits
23
SHARES
581
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Macau’s gross gaming revenues are expected to fall to near-zero for the foreseeable future in the wake of a growing COVID-19 outbreak, creating liquidity concerns and potentially a need for additional funding.

After health authorities announced 12 confirmed cases of COVID early on Sunday morning, which grew to 31 cases by late Sunday, gaming analysts observed overnight that the impact on the city’s already struggling casino industry would be substantial with GGR expected to fall to almost zero.

“Casinos remain operational for now, but we wouldn’t be surprised to see revenues going to near-zero levels for at least [a] few weeks until the situation will be under control, with minimal (if any) inbound visitation,” said JP Morgan’s DS Kim and Livy Lyu.

“Naturally, we expect the market’s focus shifting to cash-burn and liquidity situation under the worst-case scenario.”

Bernstein analysts Vitaly Umansky, Louis Li and Shirley Yang added, “While Macau’s Secretary of Finance has said that the casinos will not be shut down, visitation into the city will be severely limited (perhaps being almost completely blocked) and revenues are set to plummet close to zero for at least the next week, and quite likely several weeks.

“GGR will be severely impacted in both June and July.”

With no revenues to speak of, liquidity will become an even greater concern than it already was – particularly given the news only last week that all operators must have MOP$5 billion (US$625 million) in net assets set aside within their Macau-based concessionaire entities on a permanent basis if they are to win (and subsequently retain) a concession when the re-tender process launches later this year.

Even more burdensome, it appears that the effect of the new Macau gaming law is to require the concessionaires to maintain a balance of MOP$5 billion in cash within those concession-holding entities while the tender process plays out and prior to the commencement of operations under the new concession, if granted. It appears that cash must be held separately from other non-cash net assets, and separately from any cash held by the listed entities of the concessionaires.

“Under this harsh stress test,” said JP Morgan, “SJM and Sands have the shortest liquidity runway of nine months until March 2023, while other operators such as Wynn, MGM and Melco have 1.5-2 years of liquidity – enough liquidity to weather through zero revenues until mid-2024. Galaxy still has substantial liquidity of 60 months even under the zero revenue environment.”

Bernstein noted that, while operators have sufficient liquidly to weather the storm over the short and medium term, some operators may require capital injections either from capital markets or controlling shareholders.

In particular, the brokerage said that SJM is “likely to have a minimum net asset – and potentially cash balance problem – in 2023,” having been in the most precarious liquidity position prior to securing a new credit facility recently.

However, Sands China has a financially sound parent in Las Vegas Sands to lean on if and when required while other operators have already secured necessary support.

“The new outbreak, coming on the heels of a softer GGR environment since early this year due to travel restrictions following outbreaks in China, will add pressure on operators’ liquidity … [but] all operators should have access to ample liquidity to weather the storm,” Bernstein said.

RelatedPosts

Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45
Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

SJM still in discussions over acquisition of Macau satellite casinos Ponte 16 and L’Arc

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:43
Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:32
Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 19:09
Load More
Tags: casinoscovid-19DS Kimgross gaming revenueJP MorganMacauVitaly Umansky
Share9Share2
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

The Star Sydney’s casino license in limbo as final report from second inquiry handed to regulator

Son of Star’s largest shareholder joins Star Entertainment Group board as non-executive director

by Newsdesk
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 09:16

Troubled Star Entertainment Group has announced the appointment of Bruce Mathieson Jr – the son of Australian pub baron and Star’s largest shareholder Bruce Mathieson – as a non-executive director of the company, subject to regulatory approvals. Mathieson Jr, currently...

Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45

Melco’s Hong Kong-listed parent Melco International Development Ltd recorded a profit attributable to owners of the company of HK$350.8 million (US$45.0 million) for the six months to 30 June 2025, buoyed by the improved performance of its gaming and non-gaming...

Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

SJM still in discussions over acquisition of Macau satellite casinos Ponte 16 and L’Arc

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:43

SJM Holdings is still in discussions over a possible acquisition of two Macau satellite casinos as it continues preparations for the cessation of the city’s satellite industry, management has confirmed. The update formed part of the company’s earnings call late...

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

by Pierce Chan
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:32

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate surpassed the 90% threshold in July, reaching 91% for a year-on-year gain of 1.9 percentage points, according to information from the Statistics and Census Service. Benefiting from the summer holiday peak season, all tourism metrics in...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English