• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 31 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

VIDEO: Former Okada Manila board launches legal action against Kazuo Okada group for kidnapping, serious illegal detention and coercion

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Tue 7 Jun 2022 at 04:56
VIDEO: Former Okada Manila board launches legal action against Kazuo Okada group for kidnapping, serious illegal detention and coercion
191
SHARES
4.8k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The former board of Okada Manila operator Tiger Resort, Leisure & Entertainment Inc (TRLEI) has sued gaming tycoon Kazuo Okada and his representatives on a range of serious charges, including kidnapping and illegal detention, following last week’s forced takeover of the Philippines integrated resort.

Fronting local media on Monday, TRLEI attorney Estrella Elemparo and TRLEI co-vice chair Michiaki Satate revealed that Satate and TRLEI director James Lorenzana had also filed complaints of physical injuries, grave coercion and unjust vexations with the Department of Justice, having previously claimed that the Kazuo Okada group “illegally and violently took over the premises of Okada Manila, employing brute force and intimidation to compel key legitimate officers to vacate the premises.”

TIMESTAMP TOPIC
00:00 Introduction
06:39 Statement of Takako Okada, TRAL director
12:19 Statement of Hajime Tokuda, UEC director
17:29 Footage from the Okada Manila takeover on 31 May 2022
21:20 Explanation of group entities
25:07 Explanation of legal position
38:45 Media questions

Named in the complaints are Kazuo Okada, Antonio “TonyBoy” Conjuangco, Dindo Espeleta, Tetsuya Yokota and Hiroshi Kawamura, plus lawyer Florentino “Binky” Herrera III and security officers of A9 Security and Investigative Services, led by Jose Nicolas.

Another TRLEI director, Hajime Tokuda, has lodged kidnapping and illegal detention charges which claim he was taken “physically from his chair” in a “kidnapping that happened right in front of our eyes.” Inside Asian Gaming published video of the alleged incident on Sunday, which Tokuda’s lawsuit says saw him forced into the Okada Manila basement, then into an unknown car before being dropped at home.

In a statement provided to IAG on Monday, Tokuda said he was “was held on all sides, like a dead body being removed from a crime scene.

“This is probably one of the most traumatic events in my life,” he explained. “I felt so much fear. I was very anxious. I was so confused. All the pain caused by the men who handled me, all the sound of horror from the screams, the intimidation they employed when they suddenly cut off the electricity in the ballroom – no one deserves to be treated this way.

“You now know what Kazuo Okada, Tonyboy Cojuangco and Dindo Espeleta are capable of: They will use their influence in government to the point of violence to achieve their illegal aspirations.

“Let this be a warning to the public: Do not engage in businesses with these men.  The most that they can do for you is what they did to me: violence.”

Tiger Resort, Leisure and Entertainment’s Atty. Estrella Elamparo and Co-Vice Chairman Michiaki Satate at Monday’s press conference.

The actions brought against the Kazuo Okada group on Monday were supported by Kazuo Okada’s ex-wife, Takako Okada, director of TRLEI immediate parent company Tiger Resorts Asia Limited (domiciled in Hong Kong) and parent-of-parent Universal Entertainment Corporation (domiciled in Japan), who condemned the “violent acts” and warned such situations would deter foreign investors from the Philippines. Kazuo Okada’s estranged son Tomohiro Okada owns 53.47% of Okada Holdings Ltd, the ultimate parent firm that controls Japan’s Universal Entertainment Corp (UEC) and its subsidiaries, including Hong Kong-incorporated Tiger Resort Asia Ltd, which owns 99.9% of TRLEI.

While last week’s takeover followed the issuance by the Supreme Court of the Philippines of a Status Quo Ante Order (SQAO) to TRLEI ordering restoration of the composition of the board of directors of TRLEI to its 2017 lineup – before the dispute between UEC and Kazuo Okada that saw Okada removed – the former board said Monday that the SQAO did not grant the Kazuo Group any power to physically takeover the premises of Okada Manila.

Kazuo Okada had subsequently, on 4 May 2022, filed with the Supreme Court an Extremely Urgent Omnibus Motion requesting access to the TRLEI office and permission to takeover Okada Manila.

But the former board said, “To date, the Supreme Court has yet to act on this motion and yet, in a blatant act of contempt of court, the Kazuo Group did not bother to wait for the court’s ruling. They decided to take the law into their own hands and pre-empted the decision of the Supreme Court.”

Satate added, “We are doing everything that we can to have this issue resolved immediately, as we don’t want our guests, employees and stockholders to suffer from Mr Okada’s greed. We will exhaust all legal means to have this corrected.”

RelatedPosts

Tecnet Asia aids Asian debut of APEX Gaming’s Clover Link at Solaire Resort Entertainment City

Tecnet Asia aids Asian debut of APEX Gaming’s Clover Link at Solaire Resort Entertainment City

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 13:15
Winds of change

IAG announces program for 2025 IAG Academy Summit on 9 and 10 September at Manila Marriott, Newport World Resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 13:01
Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26
IAG announces 100 official judges for 2025 IAG Academy IR Awards at Newport World Resorts on Tuesday 9 September

IAG announces 100 official judges for 2025 IAG Academy IR Awards at Newport World Resorts on Tuesday 9 September

Wed 27 Aug 2025 at 13:03
Load More
Tags: Kazuo OkadaOkada ManilaPhilippinestakeoverTiger ResortVideo
Share76Share13
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

The Star Sydney’s casino license in limbo as final report from second inquiry handed to regulator

Son of Star’s largest shareholder joins Star Entertainment Group board as non-executive director

by Newsdesk
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 09:16

Troubled Star Entertainment Group has announced the appointment of Bruce Mathieson Jr – the son of Australian pub baron and Star’s largest shareholder Bruce Mathieson – as a non-executive director of the company, subject to regulatory approvals. Mathieson Jr, currently...

Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45

Melco’s Hong Kong-listed parent Melco International Development Ltd recorded a profit attributable to owners of the company of HK$350.8 million (US$45.0 million) for the six months to 30 June 2025, buoyed by the improved performance of its gaming and non-gaming...

Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

SJM still in discussions over acquisition of Macau satellite casinos Ponte 16 and L’Arc

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:43

SJM Holdings is still in discussions over a possible acquisition of two Macau satellite casinos as it continues preparations for the cessation of the city’s satellite industry, management has confirmed. The update formed part of the company’s earnings call late...

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

by Pierce Chan
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:32

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate surpassed the 90% threshold in July, reaching 91% for a year-on-year gain of 1.9 percentage points, according to information from the Statistics and Census Service. Benefiting from the summer holiday peak season, all tourism metrics in...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English