• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Friday 29 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

No material junket liability concerns for Sands China: Wilfred Wong

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Apr 2022 at 11:38
Sands Parisian

The Parisian Macao

32
SHARES
795
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The risk of potential claims by junket agents on Macau’s casino operators does not present any major concerns for Sands China Ltd, which does not face any material liability according to the company’s President, Dr Wilfred Wong.

The issue of concessionaires being held accountable for outstanding junket debts reared its head last November when the Court of Final Appeal confirmed that Wynn Macau Ltd and junket promoter Dore Entertainment Co were jointly liable for repayment of a HK$6 million (US$770,000) debt owed to a VIP customer. That case was related to the theft of up to HK$700 million (US$90 million) from Dore’s VIP room at Wynn Macau in 2015.

More recently, MGM China warned that it might also be liable for up to HK$202.7 million (US$25.9 million) in cash deposits claimed to have been made by individuals with junkets operating out of MGM’s properties.

Those cases prompted investment bank Credit Suisse to issue a note late last week stating that the closure of many of those leading junkets since the arrest of Suncity Group CEO Alvin Chau in November could leave Macau’s casino concessionaires exposed to liabilities totaling up to HK$100 billion, describing it as “a material tail risk investors should consider.”

But speaking to analysts during Las Vegas Sands’ 1Q22 earnings call on Thursday (Asia time), Dr Wong said Sands China did not expect to face any significant liabilities from the collapse of the junket industry.

“The cessation of operations of all the fixed room junket promoters happened fairly recently in December of last year and as a result there are some new court cases being raised by various stakeholders in that system,” he said. “Currently there is nothing material to report from Sands China’s perspective. There are a few cases going on but none of them are material and we will report back if there are any changes.”

The Credit Suisse report also named Sands China as the company with least junket exposure compared with Macau’s five other casino concessionaires.

On the same earnings call, LVS President and COO Patrick Dumont addressed liquidity issues in the wake of recent analyst reports suggesting Sands China had only around nine months’ worth of cash on hand while the COVID-19 pandemic drags on.

“We understand there are a couple of articles out about concerns around liquidity, but we have a very strong balance sheet,” Dumont said.

“Yes, we’ve received some stress over the past few years under the pandemic’s tough operating conditions – I think we all have – but the good news is that our company as a group has a lot of liquidity. We have a lot of different options.

“The good news is we were an investment grade company during the pandemic, which says a lot about the market’s view of our ability to raise additional capital.

“Where we are today is: we’ll look to see how the operations continue coming out of the pandemic, look at our liquidity and make decisions based on our available options. I don’t think we are stuck in one particular view. We have cash at the parent, we have cash around the system, we have an investment grade credit rating, we have access to credit markets and we have positioned ourselves well to benefit from the recovery on the other side. We have a lot of flexibility and we will use it as needed.”

RelatedPosts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 19:09
IAG names Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau as venue and SJM Resorts S.A. as Venue Sponsor for 2025 Power 50 Black Tie Gala Dinner

SJM reports widened 1H25 loss despite GGR growing almost 12% to US$1.90 billion

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 18:54
Capital Punishment

SJM to relocate satellite casino gaming tables, slot machines to Macau’s famous Hotel Lisboa as part of US$68 million deal with parent company STDM

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 17:35
Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26
Load More
Tags: Credit SuisseJunketsliabilityMacauSands ChinaWilfred Wong
Share13Share2
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

by Newsdesk
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:57

CLIENT PROMOTION Since 1998, SABA Sports has stood as the trusted backbone of the world’s most respected sports betting brands. Built on real-time intelligence and operational excellence, we have earned our reputation as the definitive partner for leading operators worldwide....

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has been removed from office for ethics violations after the Constitutional Court ruled 6-3 against her on Friday. She becomes Thailand’s sixth Prime Minister to be removed by a court or legal ruling since 2008...

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English