• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Monday 1 September 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Philippines court order preventing new 5% franchise tax could halt POGO exodus

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Mon 11 Jan 2021 at 06:54
PAGCOR reveals substantial POGO revenue rise in 2018 as enforcement role defended
79
SHARES
2k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

A temporary restraining order (TRO) issued by the Supreme Court of the Philippines preventing application of a 5% franchise tax on POGO operators could halt a growing exodus from the country, according to head of research at Colliers Philippines, Joey Bondoc.

The Supreme Court issued the TRO last week in response to opposition from Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators, who have been falling in numbers as a result of increased financial pressures from COVID-19 and the implementation of new taxes.

One of those taxes, signed into law by Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte last September, aimed to double government revenues from the POGO industry by subjecting all “offshore gaming licensees, including gaming operators, gaming agents, service providers and gaming support providers” to a 5% tax on turnover rather than revenue.

The tax was partially blamed for an increase in POGO operators shutting up shop – highlighted by a decline in tenancies in Metro Manila where POGOs have become a key occupier of both residential and commercial space. However, the TRO could reverse that trend.

In an interview with Market Edge, Bondoc said that at least 150,000 square meters of office space was vacated by POGOs last year but implementation of the TRO could save another 200,000 to 300,000 square meters from following suit.

POGOs, he said, had “enjoyed and benefitted from the integrated lifestyle in Metro Manila, particularly in the Bay Area where their office buildings are near their residences, near retail, restaurants,” but the 5% tax had raised the cost of doing business.

It is not yet known whether the TRO, voted for by a count of 13-1 by Supreme Court judges, will become permanent.

RelatedPosts

Tecnet Asia aids Asian debut of APEX Gaming’s Clover Link at Solaire Resort Entertainment City

Tecnet Asia aids Asian debut of APEX Gaming’s Clover Link at Solaire Resort Entertainment City

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 13:15
Winds of change

IAG announces program for 2025 IAG Academy Summit on 9 and 10 September at Manila Marriott, Newport World Resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 13:01
Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26
IAG announces 100 official judges for 2025 IAG Academy IR Awards at Newport World Resorts on Tuesday 9 September

IAG announces 100 official judges for 2025 IAG Academy IR Awards at Newport World Resorts on Tuesday 9 September

Wed 27 Aug 2025 at 13:03
Load More
Tags: MakatiManilaPhilippine Offshore Gaming OperatorsPhilippinesPOGOstax
Share32Share6
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

The IAG Newsdesk team comprises some of the most experienced journalists in the Asian gaming industry. Offering a broad range of expertise, their decades of combined know-how spans multiple countries across a variety of topics.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

The Star Sydney’s casino license in limbo as final report from second inquiry handed to regulator

Son of Star’s largest shareholder joins Star Entertainment Group board as non-executive director

by Newsdesk
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 09:16

Troubled Star Entertainment Group has announced the appointment of Bruce Mathieson Jr – the son of Australian pub baron and Star’s largest shareholder Bruce Mathieson – as a non-executive director of the company, subject to regulatory approvals. Mathieson Jr, currently...

Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45

Melco’s Hong Kong-listed parent Melco International Development Ltd recorded a profit attributable to owners of the company of HK$350.8 million (US$45.0 million) for the six months to 30 June 2025, buoyed by the improved performance of its gaming and non-gaming...

Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

SJM still in discussions over acquisition of Macau satellite casinos Ponte 16 and L’Arc

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:43

SJM Holdings is still in discussions over a possible acquisition of two Macau satellite casinos as it continues preparations for the cessation of the city’s satellite industry, management has confirmed. The update formed part of the company’s earnings call late...

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

by Pierce Chan
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:32

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate surpassed the 90% threshold in July, reaching 91% for a year-on-year gain of 1.9 percentage points, according to information from the Statistics and Census Service. Benefiting from the summer holiday peak season, all tourism metrics in...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English