• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 31 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Snow Lake’s Sean Ma says open letter was penned after failed talks with MGM Resorts hierarchy, open to joining MGM China board

Wendi Song by Wendi Song
Fri 8 Jan 2021 at 05:00
MGM China, Pansy Ho, MGM Resorts extend branding and non-compete agreements to align with 2022 gaming concession expiry

MGM Cotai

109
SHARES
2.7k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Sean Ma, the founder and CEO of Snow Lake Capital, says he penned an open letter this week calling for MGM Resorts International to sell off 20% of its stake in MGM China because phone calls with the company had not been positive.

In a provocative interview with Chinese media outlet 36Kr, Ma also suggested he was open to further discussions with the US casino giant but appeared to warn he could resort to corporate force if necessary. Snow Lake Capital is MGM China’s largest public shareholder with a 7.5% interest.

As reported by Inside Asian Gaming, Ma wants MGM Resorts to offload 20% of its current 55.95% stake in MGM China to either a leading Chinese consumer internet company or a travel and leisure company as part of a strategic initiative he believes would better position both companies for future growth.

He subsequently told 36Kr on Thursday that he has “absolutely no intention to kick MGM Resorts out.” Instead, “the deal will open up a lot of room for its long-term growth over the next decade or two.” However, he noted that his fund is also “prepared” if MGM Resorts refused to sell shares, adding “we Chinese people always try peaceful means before resorting to force.”

Ma explained that the reason he issued the open letter was that he had previously made phone calls to MGM’s CEO – presumably referring to Bill Hornbuckle – but “the other party’s attitude wasn’t positive.”

He said there are only 18 months left before MGM’s Macau gaming concession expires, meaning the re-tendering process is “quite imminent, however MGM Resorts is not taking this seriously enough.”

Ma said that senior executives of MGM Resorts may not be so aware of Macau’s long-term positioning and policy trends, and that due to the difficulty of traveling as a result of COVID-19, “they may not understand how critical the timing is.”

While Ma’s open letter names four companies he believes could add value by purchasing a 20% stake in MGM China, he said “there are definitely more. Any company that can help with Macau’s diversity, MGM China’s digital transformation and improve customer experience, will be a fit strategic investor.

“We have spoken to several of them, and they are very interested and willing to discuss further. As a long-term investor, I am firmly optimistic about the long-term development of Macau. In the long run, compared to Las Vegas, I think this market is far from saturated.”

Ma himself may even be eying a position on the MGM China board, noting that he has long been closely connected with the company.

“I’ve known the President and COO Hubert Wang for almost 10 years. He was born in Shanghai, and has a good understanding of Chinese culture,” Ma said.

“And Pansy Ho, the core figure of MGM China, is a leader with lofty ideals. She is the key guide for MGM’s future development in Macau.

“If Ms Ho believes I can bring value to the company by joining the board, then I am obliged.”

RelatedPosts

Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45
Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

SJM still in discussions over acquisition of Macau satellite casinos Ponte 16 and L’Arc

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:43
Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:32
Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 19:09
Load More
Tags: MacauMGM ChinaMGM Resorts InternationalPansy HoSean MaSnow Lake Capital Ltd
Share44Share8
Wendi Song

Wendi Song

After years spent studying law – firstly in Shanghai and later in Macau – Wendi started her Macau-based career as a writer and journalist. She’s been published in several English, Chinese and Portuguese newspapers and magazines in Macau for over a decade, including Inside Asian Gaming and its sister magazine High Life, and played a key role in helping develop O Media’s Hengqin Record – Macau’s first weekly email newsletter and website focusing specifically on Hengqin and its role in the Greater Bay Area. Wendi has particular expertise in Hengqin and the Greater Bay Area, and has been the Chinese editor and translator of Inside Asian Gaming since May 2019.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

The Star Sydney’s casino license in limbo as final report from second inquiry handed to regulator

Son of Star’s largest shareholder joins Star Entertainment Group board as non-executive director

by Newsdesk
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 09:16

Troubled Star Entertainment Group has announced the appointment of Bruce Mathieson Jr – the son of Australian pub baron and Star’s largest shareholder Bruce Mathieson – as a non-executive director of the company, subject to regulatory approvals. Mathieson Jr, currently...

Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45

Melco’s Hong Kong-listed parent Melco International Development Ltd recorded a profit attributable to owners of the company of HK$350.8 million (US$45.0 million) for the six months to 30 June 2025, buoyed by the improved performance of its gaming and non-gaming...

Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

SJM still in discussions over acquisition of Macau satellite casinos Ponte 16 and L’Arc

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:43

SJM Holdings is still in discussions over a possible acquisition of two Macau satellite casinos as it continues preparations for the cessation of the city’s satellite industry, management has confirmed. The update formed part of the company’s earnings call late...

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

by Pierce Chan
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:32

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate surpassed the 90% threshold in July, reaching 91% for a year-on-year gain of 1.9 percentage points, according to information from the Statistics and Census Service. Benefiting from the summer holiday peak season, all tourism metrics in...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English