• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Saturday 29 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Former head of international VIP ops says Crown Resorts was “blinkered” by profits before 2016 arrests in mainland China

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Sun 6 Sep 2020 at 12:50
Crown Sydney to retain valuable sight lines after settlement with Infrastructure NSW

Crown Sydney

91
SHARES
2.2k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The former head of Crown Resorts’ international VIP operations has told a state government inquiry into Crown’s suitability to hold a NSW casino license that he expressed concerns the company was placing profits before safety shortly before his arrest by Chinese authorities in October 2016.

Jason O’Connor, who was one of 19 Crown employees arrested in mainland China for illegally promoting gambling, said the pressure of making the company’s AU$2.2 billion Crown Sydney project – due to open early next year – may have “blinkered” senior management despite the arrest of 13 representatives of South Korean casinos in similar circumstances just 12 months earlier. O’Connor was later jailed for 10 months in Shanghai before being released in August 2017.

Fronting the inquiry last week, O’Connor said he had been “very concerned” by news of a Chinese crackdown on gambling but realised his “challenge would be convincing our masters that they need to temper their expectations,” according to Australian media reports.

“With the development plans (for Crown Sydney) ahead, talk of conservative expectations won’t be well received,” O’Connor allegedly wrote to a colleague.

He told the inquiry, “I thought at the time there was something of a disconnect between the business volumes and profits our business unit was able to deliver relevant to what was expected.”

He did, however, state that he had believed Crown’s team was acting within the realms of mainland China law based on advice from a local law firm.

“I’ll be the first to concede that we overlooked some of the signals,” O’Connor said. “I didn’t fully appreciate the Chinese legal system doesn’t operate the way the western system does.”

The suitability of Crown Resorts to retain a gaming license for Crown Sydney is among the key issues being investigated by the inquiry, originally sparked by Australian media reports that the NSW Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority said “raised various allegations into the conduct of Crown Resorts and its alleged associates and business partners and raised questions as to whether the Licensee remains a suitable person to hold a restricted gaming license for the purposes of the Casino Control Act.”

Crown Resorts has already been given the green light by the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR), which in late 2018 found the company and its subsidiary Crown Melbourne “remains a suitable person to hold a casino license” in its Sixth Review of the Melbourne Casino Operator and License.

The inquiry is scheduled to continue this Wednesday 9 September.

RelatedPosts

Malaysia’s Resorts World Genting shuts two of its three casinos

Genting Malaysia warms up for New York license reveal with strong 3Q25 beat on improved gaming revenues at Resorts World Genting

Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:05
We’re Back!

Ho Tram says addition of locals gaming to include world-class responsible gaming practices

Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 04:22
Tabcorp secures waiver of debt covenants on US$2.1 billion US private placement notes

Tabcorp better placed than online-only sportsbook operators for short-term growth

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 12:15
Emperor Group to target Macau’s premium mass market after 2019 revenue decline

Emperor E sees 30% decline in gaming revenue at Macau’s Grand Emperor in final full six months of satellite casino operations

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 05:26
Load More
Tags: AustraliaBarangaroocasinoCrown MelbourneCrown ResortsCrown SydneyJason O’ConnorNSW Independent Liquor and Gaming AuthorityVIP
Share38Share6
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

The IAG Newsdesk team comprises some of the most experienced journalists in the Asian gaming industry. Offering a broad range of expertise, their decades of combined know-how spans multiple countries across a variety of topics.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33

Hong Kong-listed Palasino Holdings Limited, the former gaming arm of real estate group Far East Consortium, reported an 8% increase in revenue to HK$305 million (US$39.2 million) in the six months to 30 September 2025 – primarily attributable to an...

1xBet Becomes the first Official Betting Partner of MIBR’s VALORANT esports team

1xBet Becomes the first Official Betting Partner of MIBR’s VALORANT esports team

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:34

1xBet has signed a partnership with the VALORANT roster of esports powerhouse MIBR, becoming the first-ever official betting partner in the Riot Games ecosystem, the company said overnight. Under the partnership, 1xBet and MIBR will focus on creating a new,...

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:29

Genting Berhad’s US flagship, Resorts World Las Vegas, suffered another depressed quarter in 3Q25, with revenue declining 1% year-on-year and 3% quarter-on-quarter to US$175 million, The property also fell to an EBITDA loss of US$12 million compared with a gain...

Malaysia’s Resorts World Genting shuts two of its three casinos

Genting Malaysia warms up for New York license reveal with strong 3Q25 beat on improved gaming revenues at Resorts World Genting

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:05

Genting Malaysia comfortably beat forecasts in the three months to 30 September 2025, with group-wide revenues rising 22% year-on-year to MYR3.36 billion (US$813 million) on higher gaming revenues at flagship Resorts World Genting – particularly in the VIP segment. Although...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English