• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 31 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 日本語
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 日本語
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Japan unlikely to move IR timeline despite risk of losing operators

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Tue 28 Apr 2020 at 06:58
OPINION: Macau should ditch Japan model and adopt Singapore framework for licensing
35
SHARES
844
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Japan’s central government is unlikely to push back the timeframe for accepting proposals from candidate locations and their operator partners to develop the nation’s first integrated resorts, despite growing concerns over feasibility amid the global COVID-19 pandemic.

The issue of Japan’s ever-tightening timeline is raised in a new research paper published by consultancy firm Global Market Advisors on Monday, which notes that a delay in issuing the government’s Fundamental Policy by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism – originally planned for earlier this year – means operators are now being asked to commit to the market without knowing the full set of rules to be implemented.

Despite this, Japan’s timeline to accept proposals, currently scheduled for 4 January to 30 July 2021, is unlikely to move.

“One of the main reasons for this is that the further this date gets pushed back, it is less likely that the integrated resort champion, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, will be spearheading the project,” GMA said.

“With public opinion still not in favor of IR implementation, as the public has not been appropriately educated on the subject through a targeted education campaign that highlights the IRs, there is still a bill in the Diet that would abolish the IR policy entirely.

“The current session, set to expire in June, would also have to take up the change in schedule should there be a desire to push back dates. Bringing up the timeline during this session could open up Pandora’s box on the entire IR debate.”

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe

GMA said it is vital operators have time to fully process the Fundamental Policy in order to understand whether Japan will be a market in which they can succeed. However, that may be easier for operators targeting locations such as Yokohama and Nagasaki, which have delayed their own RFP processes, than Osaka and Wakayama who have already launched theirs.

“One would hope that operators would be given the chance to fully understand the Fundamental Policy prior to the full submission of their plans,” GMA observed. “Every operator that submits a business plan as part of an RFP process today technically should have a disclaimer to the effect of, ‘This submission is based on current conditions and may materially change based on the Fundamental Policy that is yet to be realized’.”

While the potential for operators to start withdrawing from the market represents a worst case scenario for the Abe government, GMA said any adjustment to the overall timeline “will be minimal as the Central Government continues to push forward with its timeline of 2021 for the submission by prefectures.

“However, a delay in the Fundamental Policy beyond July 2020 could potentially cause an adjustment of three to six months in the timeline. For all intents and purposes, this would allow for a more transparent process that balances potential operators’ desire to understand the full market opportunity and be able to put forward business plans that make sense for the market once the regulatory structure has been crafted.”

RelatedPosts

10 Years Ago: Next Stop Japan

Osaka-based forum to study the potential impact of MGM’s Japan IR on Korea’s casino industry

Wed 27 Aug 2025 at 05:40
Improved Okada Manila performance not enough to push Japan’s Universal Entertainment Corp back to profit in 2021

Japan’s Universal falls to US$69 million loss in 1H25 on Okada Manila underperformance

Sun 10 Aug 2025 at 12:56
Konami reveals strong growth for Gaming and Systems segment despite group-wide declines in 1H20

Konami’s Gaming & Systems suffers decline in in June quarter profits on competitive environment, rising tariff costs

Fri 1 Aug 2025 at 05:44
In the crosshairs

Fitch: No clear near-term recovery path for Philippines integrated resort Okada Manila

Wed 30 Jul 2025 at 06:08
Load More
Tags: global marketirJapanNagasakiOsakaRequest for proposalRFPShinzo AbeWakayamaYokohama
Share15Share2
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

by Newsdesk
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:57

CLIENT PROMOTION Since 1998, SABA Sports has stood as the trusted backbone of the world’s most respected sports betting brands. Built on real-time intelligence and operational excellence, we have earned our reputation as the definitive partner for leading operators worldwide....

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has been removed from office for ethics violations after the Constitutional Court ruled 6-3 against her on Friday. She becomes Thailand’s sixth Prime Minister to be removed by a court or legal ruling since 2008...

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 日本語

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 日本語
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English
  • 日本語