• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Monday 1 September 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
  • 日本語
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
  • 日本語
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Caesars reveals it pulled out of Australian Gold Coast casino bid “several weeks ago”

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Jun 2019 at 06:59

An artist's impression of Star Entertainment Group's AU$2 billion Gold Coast masterplan

1.3k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

US casino giant Caesars Entertainment has revealed it has pulled out of the race to develop a casino on Australia’s Gold Coast.

According to reports from News Ltd, the decision was made a number of weeks ago and well before the announcement by Caesars this week that it had entered into a US$17.3 billion merger agreement with fellow US casino operator Eldorado Resorts.

Speculation has been rife in recent months as to which foreign operators might be interested in bidding for the Queensland State Government’s mooted second casino license, however in a statement published by The Gold Coast Bulletin this week, a Caesars spokesman said, “Several weeks ago, Caesars Entertainment decided that it would not pursue a casino license in Queensland.”

While no detail was provided by Caesars as to the reasons for its decision, Queensland Tourism Department Director-General Damien Walker, said the government had been informed “this decision by (Caesars) was a result of internal company changes and not the attractiveness of the Gold Coast market as an investment opportunity.”

The decision also precedes comments made by Eldorado CEO Tom Reeg during an investor call this week discussing the merger agreement with Caesars. Reeg, who will take charge of the merged entity upon completion of the deal, stated “no firm decisions” had yet been made on the company’s long-term international ambitions but “the opportunity internationally will have to be stupendous for us to run in that direction.”

As for the Gold Coast, it is still to be seen whether the proposed development of a second casino goes ahead at all, with no site yet confirmed and questions being asked over whether the region is big enough to host another IR under the government’s Gold Coast Global Tourism Hub ambitions.

Approval for a second casino would also likely put an end to a proposed AU$2 billion “mega masterplan” by The Star Gold Coast operator, Star Entertainment Group, in addition to the AU$850 million it has already spent upgrading its Gold Coast property. The masterplan would see a total of four new hotel towers developed on top of the already under-construction Dorsett Hotel and Star Residences.

Star Entertainment Group has previously expressed concerns over the government’s plans for slot machine licenses should a second casino be given the green light, stating the company “has a declared position that the Gold Coast is already saturated as an electronic gaming machine market.”

RelatedPosts

The Star Sydney’s casino license in limbo as final report from second inquiry handed to regulator

Son of Star’s largest shareholder joins Star Entertainment Group board as non-executive director

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 09:16
Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38
Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26
Crown Resorts found suitable to retain Melbourne casino license but China investigation ongoing

Crown Melbourne given two-year extension to deadline for implementation of mandatory carded play across table games

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 06:47
Load More
Share21Share4
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

The Star Sydney’s casino license in limbo as final report from second inquiry handed to regulator

Son of Star’s largest shareholder joins Star Entertainment Group board as non-executive director

by Newsdesk
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 09:16

Troubled Star Entertainment Group has announced the appointment of Bruce Mathieson Jr – the son of Australian pub baron and Star’s largest shareholder Bruce Mathieson – as a non-executive director of the company, subject to regulatory approvals. Mathieson Jr, currently...

Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45

Melco’s Hong Kong-listed parent Melco International Development Ltd recorded a profit attributable to owners of the company of HK$350.8 million (US$45.0 million) for the six months to 30 June 2025, buoyed by the improved performance of its gaming and non-gaming...

Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

SJM still in discussions over acquisition of Macau satellite casinos Ponte 16 and L’Arc

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:43

SJM Holdings is still in discussions over a possible acquisition of two Macau satellite casinos as it continues preparations for the cessation of the city’s satellite industry, management has confirmed. The update formed part of the company’s earnings call late...

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

by Pierce Chan
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:32

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate surpassed the 90% threshold in July, reaching 91% for a year-on-year gain of 1.9 percentage points, according to information from the Statistics and Census Service. Benefiting from the summer holiday peak season, all tourism metrics in...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文
  • 日本語

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • 日本語
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English
  • 日本語