• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 31 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Mario Kontomerkos to replace Bobby Soper as Mohegan Gaming CEO

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Tue 12 Sep 2017 at 21:58
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

US-based casino operator Mohegan Gaming & Entertainment (MGE), which is currently developing a US$1.6 billion integrated resort in Korea, has announced the appointment of Mario Kontomerkos as its new Chief Executive Officer, effective from 16 October.

Mr Kontomerkos, who replaces Bobby Soper in the top job following his resignation in February, will “oversee all day-to-day operations for MGE, including ongoing brand growth and continuing to ensure MGE delivers unmatched personalized services and memorable guest experiences,” the company said.

The 40-year-old has served as the Chief Financial Officer for MGE since September 2011.

“Having served as a Senior Executive for Mohegan Gaming & Entertainment for nearly six years, Mario has, in his role as Chief Financial Officer, actively supported Mohegan’s development of new opportunities in the United States and abroad,” said Kevin Brown, Chairman of the Mohegan Tribe and MGE management board. “Mario’s knowledge and experience has kept us disciplined in our financial approach, competitive in the gaming and entertainment industry, and always cognizant of a business and management approach aligned with our tribal culture and the Mohegan way. We trust he will only further build MGE as a compelling, all-encompassing brand – solidifying MGE as an industry leader in integrated resort experiences around the world.”

Mr Kontomerkos told US media on Tuesday that he would continue to push the company’s rapid expansion plans, which has seen them grow their casino and IR portfolio from two to seven in the past five years – including its first major foreign investment in Korea. Dubbed Inspire, the project – located in the city of Incheon and one of three new integrated resorts scheduled to open for business by 2020 – will boast a 20,000 square meter casino with 250 gaming tables and 1,500 gaming machines as well as 1,350 hotel rooms, an indoor rainforest and adventure park plus a Paramount Studios theme park.

“Due to the incredible efforts of a very talented, dedicated and special group of people here at MGE, we have over the last five years quietly been part of an amazing turnaround story in our industry,” said Mr Kontomerkos.

“I am grateful to the Mohegan Tribe and the MGE team members for the opportunity to lead MGE into our next phase of growth.”

Mr Kontomerkos has previously held key financial, research and analytical roles with a range of companies including Penn National Gaming, Magnetar Capital LLC, JP Morgan Securities, Lehman Brothers and PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP. He also served as a consultant for TPG Capital LLC on the acquisition of Harrah’s Entertainment, the largest leveraged buyout in the history of the gaming industry.

Mr Kontomerkos’ appointment comes three months after the company changed its name from The Mohegan Tribal Gaming Authority in a move it said at the time better represented its “growing domestic and international portfolio of integrated resorts” while aligning the image of the brand with future expansion plans.

RelatedPosts

The Star Sydney’s casino license in limbo as final report from second inquiry handed to regulator

Son of Star’s largest shareholder joins Star Entertainment Group board as non-executive director

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 09:16
Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45
Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

SJM still in discussions over acquisition of Macau satellite casinos Ponte 16 and L’Arc

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:43
Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:32
Load More
Share4Share1
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

The Star Sydney’s casino license in limbo as final report from second inquiry handed to regulator

Son of Star’s largest shareholder joins Star Entertainment Group board as non-executive director

by Newsdesk
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 09:16

Troubled Star Entertainment Group has announced the appointment of Bruce Mathieson Jr – the son of Australian pub baron and Star’s largest shareholder Bruce Mathieson – as a non-executive director of the company, subject to regulatory approvals. Mathieson Jr, currently...

Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45

Melco’s Hong Kong-listed parent Melco International Development Ltd recorded a profit attributable to owners of the company of HK$350.8 million (US$45.0 million) for the six months to 30 June 2025, buoyed by the improved performance of its gaming and non-gaming...

Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

SJM still in discussions over acquisition of Macau satellite casinos Ponte 16 and L’Arc

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:43

SJM Holdings is still in discussions over a possible acquisition of two Macau satellite casinos as it continues preparations for the cessation of the city’s satellite industry, management has confirmed. The update formed part of the company’s earnings call late...

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

by Pierce Chan
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:32

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate surpassed the 90% threshold in July, reaching 91% for a year-on-year gain of 1.9 percentage points, according to information from the Statistics and Census Service. Benefiting from the summer holiday peak season, all tourism metrics in...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English