• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Saturday 29 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • 中文
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Crown Resorts reveals narrowed AU$165 million loss in FY24 but flat revenues show operating challenges remain

Ben Blaschke by Ben Blaschke
Sun 20 Oct 2024 at 08:17
Crown’s internal AML controls described by inquiry judge as a “debacle”
80
SHARES
2k
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Australia’s Crown Resorts has announced a narrowed AU$164.8 million (US$111 million) loss for the 12 months to 30 June 2024, although the 17.4% improvement over last year’s AU$199 million (US$133 million) loss appears to be a result of cost cutting rather than any uptick in business volumes.

According to information filed with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission on Friday, group-wide revenues were 0.2% lower than the prior year at AU$2.8 billion (US$1.88 billion) with Crown also revealing further asset sales as owner Blackstone – which bought the casino operator for AU$8.9 billion (US$5.97 billion) in 2022 – looks to recoup its investment.

Crown said the FY24 result “reflects the continued challenging operating conditions and macroeconomic environment impacting the hospitality and tourism industry. Crown remains committed to its continued transformation and long-term strategy of sustainable growth.”

Having already sold its 20% stake in global restaurant chain Nobu earlier this year, Crown’s filings also reveal that the company recently offloaded a parcel of land adjacent to Crown Melbourne for AU$85 million. The One Queensbridge site had once been intended to house a new AU$1.75 billion, 90-floor hotel and apartment building that would have been Melbourne’s tallest tower.

Crown added that it has reached an agreement to sell one of its private jets.

Once the dominant player in Australia’s casino industry on the back of Crown Melbourne’s success, Crown’s recent struggles follow multiple inquiries into its behaviors which found the company unsuitable to hold casino licenses for its properties in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth due to systemic issues around money laundering controls, responsible gambling, tax payments and compliance.

Crown has since returned to suitability in NSW, home of Crown Sydney, and Victoria, home of Crown Melbourne, following a comprehensive transformation led by CEO Ciarán Carruthers. However, the challenging economic environment and significantly enhanced operating restrictions as a result of the findings of the inquiries have continued to impact profitability.

In a recent interview with Inside Asian Gaming, Carruthers – who is stepping aside at the end of the year – revealed the company had lost 13% of foot traffic at Crown Melbourne when it rolled out mandatory carded play last December but said recent indications had been more encouraging.

“Over time we’ve had more and more [people] signing up,” Carruthers explained. “Some of that business returned because we have so much more to offer than just the machines, in terms of bars, restaurants and entertainment. A big part of our drive repositioning our brand is a reminder that we are an integrated resort, not just a casino.

“There were also additional costs for running the AML requirements, the responsible gambling requirements, the additional staff to manage new processes. That obviously impacts margins. But we’re seeing improvement with the restructure of our cost base that’s been rolled out over the last six to nine months, with a greater than doubling of our margin across the entire business. And there’s still room for improvement.”

RelatedPosts

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:29
Tabcorp secures waiver of debt covenants on US$2.1 billion US private placement notes

Tabcorp better placed than online-only sportsbook operators for short-term growth

Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 12:15
RGB revenue, profit down in 3Q25 on delays in Asia venue openings, ongoing closure of some Poipet outlets

RGB revenue, profit down in 3Q25 on delays in Asia venue openings, ongoing closure of some Poipet outlets

Wed 26 Nov 2025 at 05:16
The Star Gold Coast

Bally’s expected to complete conversion of Star shares within this week, chair Anne Ward to step down

Tue 25 Nov 2025 at 10:23
Load More
Tags: 2024AustraliaCiarán CarruthersCrown Resortslossrevenue
Share32Share6
Ben Blaschke

Ben Blaschke

A former sports journalist in Sydney, Australia, Ben has been Managing Editor of Inside Asian Gaming since early 2016. He played a leading role in developing and launching IAG Breakfast Briefing in April 2017 and oversees as well as being a key contributor to all of IAG’s editorial pursuits.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33

Hong Kong-listed Palasino Holdings Limited, the former gaming arm of real estate group Far East Consortium, reported an 8% increase in revenue to HK$305 million (US$39.2 million) in the six months to 30 September 2025 – primarily attributable to an...

1xBet Becomes the first Official Betting Partner of MIBR’s VALORANT esports team

1xBet Becomes the first Official Betting Partner of MIBR’s VALORANT esports team

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:34

1xBet has signed a partnership with the VALORANT roster of esports powerhouse MIBR, becoming the first-ever official betting partner in the Riot Games ecosystem, the company said overnight. Under the partnership, 1xBet and MIBR will focus on creating a new,...

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:29

Genting Berhad’s US flagship, Resorts World Las Vegas, suffered another depressed quarter in 3Q25, with revenue declining 1% year-on-year and 3% quarter-on-quarter to US$175 million, The property also fell to an EBITDA loss of US$12 million compared with a gain...

Malaysia’s Resorts World Genting shuts two of its three casinos

Genting Malaysia warms up for New York license reveal with strong 3Q25 beat on improved gaming revenues at Resorts World Genting

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:05

Genting Malaysia comfortably beat forecasts in the three months to 30 September 2025, with group-wide revenues rising 22% year-on-year to MYR3.36 billion (US$813 million) on higher gaming revenues at flagship Resorts World Genting – particularly in the VIP segment. Although...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE
  • 中文

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • 中文
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • 中文
  • English