Macau’s gross gaming revenue fell by 62.1% year-on-year and 25.9% sequentially to MOP$2.48 billion (US$307 million) in June, impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak currently spreading across the city.
According to figures from the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau (DICJ), June GGR was the lowest monthly GGR result since September 2020, when GGR reached just MOP$2.21 billion (US$273.9 million).
At time of writing there were 638 cases of COVID-19 in Macau, marking the SAR’s largest outbreak since the start of the pandemic in early 2020. The outbreak has led the government to shut down public offices and implement multiple rounds of mass testing for all residents.
As reported by Inside Asian Gaming, the DICJ has also ordered that only 10% of the employees of each of Macau’s six casino concessionaires can continue to work as of 1 July, with the remaining 90% ordered home.
For the first six months of 2022 combined, GGR was down 46.4% to MOP$26.27 billion (US$3.26 billion).