As of 6pm this evening (Tuesday) Macau has 49 confirmed positive cases of COVID-19 in the new outbreak affecting the city since Sunday.
The Novel Coronavirus Response Coordination Center said that of the 49 confirmed cases, 36 are women and 13 men, and their ages range between 8 months and 89 years old.
“Of the 49 total number, 15 have symptoms and 34 have been classified as asymptomatic.”
Likewise, the government divided the infected population into two groups: 28 people in the “foreign workers” group – predominantly from Myanmar – and 19 people in the prison officers and family members group. Two further cases from Macau were identified as they entered mainland China. The Response Coordination Center said “the connection between the two groups is being analyzed through epidemiological investigations.”
The government has so far followed up 2,142 people who have been linked to confirmed cases. In terms of community control, there are 11 red-coded areas with 1,824 people under lockdown and five yellow-coded areas with 1,950 people located within. This does not count the red zone area at Hotel Fortuna.
Director of the Health Bureau, Alvis Lo, said that rapid antigen testing (RAT) will be implemented Macau-wide on Wednesday. The government has uploaded two pictures on the website of the Response Coordination Center (see above) to explain to the public how to conduct the rapid antigen test.
The public was given three rapid antigen testing kits during the city-wide mass nucleic acid testing which took place from noon on Sunday to noon on Tuesday, at the time saying that people may need to conduct their own rapid antigen tests at a later date at home.
This morning, some journalists who entered the Legislative Assembly to cover the passage of the new Macau gaming law underwent rapid antigen tests.