Crown Melbourne has been forced to suspend gaming operations for the third time in little over a year as the Australian state of Victoria enters its latest 7-day lockdown.
A cluster of new COVID-19 cases linked to a hotel quarantine breach saw the government announce on Thursday that the state would go into lockdown from midnight, with residents only allowed to leave their homes for food and supplies, essential work, exercise with one other person or to get vaccinated.
Gatherings of any sort are banned while restaurants, pubs and cafes are restricted to takeaway service only.
Hotels, clubs and casinos must close, with Crown issuing a statement confirming that gaming activities would cease once again.
Hotel accommodation will continue to be provided for approved purposes, while Crown said it will continue to pay employees’ rostered hours and salaries during the period.
“Crown Melbourne will continue to work closely with the Government and health authorities in Victoria and will respond to measures taken in relation to COVID-19,” the company said.
Crown had closed its Melbourne casino for almost eight months last year, from late March to mid-November, as Victoria endured Australia’s worst COVID-19 outbreak to date.