Crown resorts has been officially informed by the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR) that its seventh review of the Casino Operator and License will not proceed due to the launch of a Royal Commission.
The Royal Commission, announced on 22 February, will explore Crown’s suitability to retain its Victorian casino license for flagship property Crown Melbourne following the findings of a recent inquiry in NSW. The NSW Bergin Report found Crown unsuitable to hold a casino license for its AU$2.2 billion (US$1.6 billion) Crown Sydney development.
Victorian authorities said last month that it deemed a Royal Commission to be the “most appropriate response and one that will protect the Victorian interest the best.
“Following the Bergin Inquiry there were a number of significant issues that came out,” said Victoria’s Minister for Liquor and Gaming Regulation, Melissa Horne.
“We’ve gone through [the Bergin Report] line by line and have understood our commercial contracts (with Crown) and have taken legal advice as to what the most appropriate response is to those severe findings.”
Crown said Thursday it would “fully co-operate in relation to the Royal Commission and will continue to engage with the VCGLR and the Victorian Government in relation to its reform agenda and any further remedial steps identified in response to the NSW ILGA Inquiry.”