Malaysia’s Resorts World Genting says it will operate at reduced capacity and with revised operating hours for some attractions from today after the government announced broad COVID-19 restrictions for the next two weeks.
Malaysian Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin outlined the latest Movement Control Order (MCO) on Monday in response to rising cases of COVID-19, which passed 3,000 in a day for the first time last week. The MCO covers six states – Penang, Selangor, Federal Territories, Johor, Melaka and Sabah – and includes a complete ban on interstate travel as well as a ban on travelling between districts within the six affected states.
In response, Resorts World Genting, operated by Genting Malaysia, issued a statement in which it predicted a decline in visitor numbers for the two week period from 13 to 26 January.
“Hence, we will be operating at a lower capacity and some of our offerings may not be available from 13 January 2021,” it said.
“Some of our hotels, facilities, attractions and other offerings will be subjected to revised operating hours, limited availability or temporary closure.”
The company had only last week revealed that several employees of a staff canteen at Genting Highlands had tested positive to COVID-19.
Prime Minister Muhyiddin said Monday, “The situation today is indeed very alarming. Our healthcare system is under tremendous pressure now than at any other time since the start of the pandemic. As I have said before, unprecedented situations call for unprecedented measures.”