Cyprus Casinos, the Cyprus-based subsidiary of Melco Resorts & Entertainment, says it has suspended operations at all of its casinos as cases of COVID-19 continue to rise.
In a notice published on the company’s website, Cyprus Casinos said it would temporarily suspend its operations as per a government directive, which has seen hospitality venues, shopping malls and churches shut down since 11 December.
The company had previously suspended operations at its temporary casino, C2 Limassol, and one satellite casino, C2 Paphos, on 12 November but will now add its remaining satellites, C2 Nicosia and C2 Ayia Napa, to the closure list.
Cyprus reported 401 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, creeping back above 400 for the first time since Saturday. The nation of 875,000 residents has recorded triple digit cases every day since 27 October 2020, with the tally since March now at 16,190. More than half of those have been in the past month.
Cyprus Casinos, which is developing the €550 million City of Dreams Mediterranean, had previously shuttered all four satellite casinos plus its temporary facility in Limassol for three months from 17 March to 13 June.
ICR Cyprus, the operating entity of Cyprus Casinos, is 75% owned by Melco and 25% by local firm Cyprus Phassouri Ltd.