Genting’s flagship Malaysian IR, Resorts World Genting, will remain open for now but the operator says it is monitoring the situation after a Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) was reintroduced to certain areas of the country.
Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya and Selangor are all back under partial lockdown for the next two weeks after Malaysia reported 562 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday and another 660 on Tuesday. The CMCO will see parks, recreational centers, schools, childcare centers and places of worship closed, while travel between districts is also banned unless for the purpose of work. Other economic activities will continue as usual.
In a statement published on its website on Wednesday morning, RWG said it “remains open as usual” but “will continue to monitor the situation and provide necessary updates as more information becomes available.
“RWG has been continuously conducting deep cleaning and thorough sanitization throughout the resort as well as adhering to the strict SOPs issued by the government,” it said.
“This includes observing physical distancing, wearing face masks and adopting good personal hygiene practices. We will continue to do so to ensure the health and safety of all our guests and employees.”
Genting Malaysia was earlier this year forced to close RWG plus its three non-gaming properties – Resorts World Kijal, Resorts World Langkawi and Resorts World Awana – from 18 March until 19 June following the initial outbreak of COVID-19 and implementation of a Movement Control Order by Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin.
However RWG has experienced solid recovery of both gaming and non-gaming operations since it reopened on the back of strong domestic tourism, including a 50% increase in visitor arrivals.