Macau’s Secretary for Security, Wong Sio Chak, said more “good news” about the progress of easing border restrictions between Macau and mainland China was expected to be announced soon.
The Secretary stated on Thursday that the SAR government had been maintaining communications and orderly coordination on facilitating the normalization of interactions with mainland China, noting that all work had been smooth so far.
“Previously, we focused on discussions with Guangdong Province,” Wong said. “Currently, the central government is coordinating other provinces to facilitate the easing of border restrictions with Macau.”
In late June, Macau Chief Executive Ho Iat Seng revealed that “good news” would hopefully come in July. Guangdong Province subsequently removed mandatory quarantine imposed on visitors returning from Macau on 15 July, provided they head directly to one of nine approved cities within the province for 14 days. In the past few weeks, entry restrictions between Macau and Guangdong have gradually eased, with visitors from Macau now allowed to visit anywhere in Guangdong Province for 14 days before heading to other provinces.
The mainland government will also resume visa applications to Macau for family and business purposes from 12 August, however, the Individual Visit Scheme (IVS) is yet to be reinstated. As a result, Macau’s gaming and tourist industries have seen little benefit so far from border easing.
While Macau and Guangdong Province are gradually returning to normal, both places have further tightened entry requirements on visitors returning from Hong Kong as the larger SAR continues to see around 100 new cases of COVID-19 each day.
Hong Kong visitors must submit negative virus test certificates obtained inside the previous 24 hours when entering Macau, Shenzhen or Zhuhai, and must undergo mandatory quarantine for 14 days after arrival.