Star Entertainment Group has revealed new COVID-19 safety measures at flagship casino The Star Sydney which will see access prioritized for high value patrons and the main gaming floor separated into distinct zones to adhere with new restrictions introduced by the New South Wales state government on Friday.
The restrictions are a reaction to recent outbreaks of the virus in NSW, which has seen around 82 new cases over the past week.
Having only reopened its main gaming floor to a maximum of 5,000 patrons on 1 July, Star announced via an ASX filling that under the latest guidelines of the NSW public health order, each separate area within the casino is now subject to a maximum of 300 patrons, none of whom are allowed to mingle and are subject to a minimum four square meters of space per person.
“The Star is implementing operating procedures which comply with the new restrictions, including the delineation of several separate areas utilizing the over 20,000 square meter casino floor area across The Star Sydney,” the company said.
“The restrictions mean that The Star Sydney will focus on prioritizing visitation by its highest value patrons.”
Staffing levels will also be adjusted to address the new requirements.
Star said that when similar measures were previously in place from 19 to 30 June 2020 with a visitation capacity of 900, average daily slot and table gaming volumes were comparable with 1H20 private gaming room levels.
It was also announced last week that The Star Sydney would not reopen its poker room in 2020, with the Sydney Poker Championships, scheduled to start this week, and the WSOP International Circuit Sydney, set for late November, both cancelled.