Macau’s gaming regulator says it has seen no irregularities from leading junket operator Suncity Group following recent rumors linking the company with a mainland China anti-crime operation.
Suncity released a video message from its CEO Alvin Chau late Sunday in which he denied the validity of multiple rumors that had been disseminated across social media platforms in recent days, including suggestions the company had been targeted by mainland Chinese authorities, that authorities possessed information of their customers and that Suncity VIP Club was unable to cover the financial deposits of its clients.
In particular, Chau said that indications an anti-crime operation is currently underway in mainland China were “completely inconsistent and irrelevant with ‘targeting Suncity’ as mentioned in the rumors.”
Contacted by Inside Asian Gaming on Monday, Macau’s Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau (DICJ) also claimed no knowledge of any such evidence.
“All junket promoters of Macau are subject to stringent monitoring by the DICJ, therefore the Bureau is well aware of the recent online rumors about junket promoter Suncity,” the DICJ said.
“So far, the DICJ did not see any irregularities in the operation of Suncity in Macau. Nevertheless, we will continue to pay close attention to the matter to ensure the healthy development of the gaming industry.”