All casinos in Macau must resume operations on 20 March as per a government directive following last month’s 15-day casino closure, but social distancing requirements for the city’s gaming floors are set to continue for some time.
“We will continue our requirements on the setting of gaming tables and medical conditions in casinos after 20 March,” said Macau’s Secretary for Finance and Economy, Lei Wei Nong, at a Monday press conference.
“We are in close communication with the six gaming concessionaires and the casinos and continue to inspect the practical implementation of restrictions. The current regulations on casinos, such as wearing face masks, checking body temperature and health declarations will continue and the DICJ will strengthen its inspections to safeguard staff and guests.”
Under temporary guidelines implemented by the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau, no more than 50% of tables are allowed to be open on casino floors, players must leave an empty seat between them when seated at a gaming table or slot machine and standing behind active tables is banned.
Health authorities have also further tightened Macau’s border restrictions, with all arrivals other than those from mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan to be quarantined for 14 days as of midnight on 17 March.
However, a potential easing of entry restrictions for tourists and non-resident workers from mainland China could come into effect by early April.
“The situation in Guangdong province has been under control in recent days,” said Health Bureau Director, Lei Chin Ion. “We are analyzing their development and might decide to adjust our policy.”