Scientific Game

MGM Cotai launch “vital” for 2020 concession renewal: Bowie

Wednesday, 14 February 2018 06:12
Share
Visit us

By Ben Blaschke

The long-awaited opening of MGM China’s new Macau integrated resort, MGM Cotai, is “vital” to the upcoming concession renewal process, according to CEO and Executive Director Grant Bowie.

His comments came during MGM Cotai’s Grand Opening on Tuesday, which saw guests and dignitaries including Chief Executive of Macao SAR Chui Sai On, Secretary for Social Affairs and Culture Alexis Tam Chon Weng and Secretary for Economy and Finance Leong Vai Tac on hand to celebrate the launch of the US$3.4 billion property.

Asked about the upcoming concession renewals, with the licenses of MGM China and SJM the first to expire in 2020, Bowie said that MGM Cotai “is vital in terms of the process of concession renewal.”

“The concession renewal will not be determined by how successful we are at running casinos, it’s how successful we are at diversifying and allowing Macau to become more than just a gaming town,” he said.

“When Edmund Ho (former Macau Chief Executive) opened up the concessions [in 2001] it was always about diversifying and providing a competitive advantage for Macau, so today with the opening of MGM Cotai, it’s significant to us.

“On the peninsula we have a beautiful property even if it has a limited footprint. In Cotai we have had a greater opportunity to create something significant. We still have a small footprint but if you look at the way it’s been executed, everything we have tried to do is to create multiple uses for every space – multiple uses and opportunities to create more visitation to Macau to recognize the diversity and approve the appeal and attraction for Macau as a non-gaming destination.”

The opening of MGM Cotai this week, coming almost exactly five years after the company broke ground on 27 February 2013, follows a series of delays, most notably as a result of damage suffered from Typhoon Hato which struck Macau on 23 August 2017.

The opening was subsequently pushed back from 4Q17 to 29 January 2018 before being rescheduled again to 13 February.

Despite the setbacks, Bowie said he was confident that MGM’s sizeable investment would pay dividends.

“We spent a lot of money on this property and our expectation is that we will meet our shareholders’ expectations in terms of our return on that investment,” he said.

“The critical point in terms of ROI is making sure your customers keep coming back and that they want to use your products. That’s why we‘ve tried to create a niche for ourselves at the upper end of the market. We believe there is greater potential for sustainability and core customers in terms of driving incremental revenue and supporting the significant investment we’ve made.”

MGM revealed earlier this week that it would launch MGM Cotai at around 70% capacity, with some gaming and hotel facilities to come online in the coming months. In particular, junket operations are not expected to start until mid-2018 – roughly the same time as the company launches its luxury The Mansion Villas.

Around 500 of MGM Cotai’s total 1,390 hotel rooms are open this week with MGM revealing those rooms are fully booked through the remainder of February.

Meanwhile, the gaming floor has opened with 982 slot machines and 177 gaming tables including 100 new-to-market tables and 77 moved across from peninsula property MGM Macau. Another 25 new tables will become available on 1 January 2019.

Asked about the impact of recent delays and subsequently launching below full capacity, Bowie said he doesn’t expect any long-term impact on MGM China’s bottom line.

“We’ve always wanted to open when the property is ready because of the challenges we’ve endured,” he said. “The biggest challenge for us was August when we had the largest typhoon come through here. It was a fairly sensitive time for us because we did sustain quite a bit of damage.

“The delay was not significant to us though because we’re here for the long term and that’s what I think is important.

“In terms of ramp-up, the one observation I would make is that clearly every time a new property opens, you would hope it creates an inflection in visitation but the reality we’ve also seen is that each property takes a little bit longer to ramp-up than he previous.

“Having said that, we’ve done everything we can and put in place many, many strategies which we believe will allow us to get up to our optimal performance as quickly as we can and the single most important facet in that will be the strength of the market.

“Those are the variables that exist, so what we will be doing is everything we can to respond to those opportunities and maximize the return for us and our shareholders.”

 

 

 

What's new

Cebu City to move forward with casino resort plan

Cebu City to move forward with casino resort plan A Cebu City government official told local media on Monday that a proposed Php18 billion (US$356 million) integrated resort would proceed with its upcoming ground-breaking ceremony this Saturday in defiance of President Rodrigo Duterte’s apparent ban on new casinos. The IR, to be built on Kawit I... Tuesday, 21 August 2018 06:08

Success Universe issues positive profit alert

Success Universe issues positive profit alert Macau casino investor Success Universe has issued a positive profit alert ahead of its 1H18 results announcement next week. The group said late Monday that it expects to record an unaudited consolidated profit for the six months to 30 June compared with a loss for the same period last year. The pro... Tuesday, 21 August 2018 05:49

Another key departure as Cai Lingli steps down from Imperial Pacific board

Another key departure as Cai Lingli steps down from Imperial Pacific board Imperial Pacific International (IPI) has lost its second key board member in the space of a week with Cai Lingli – a relative of majority owner Cui Li Jie – stepping down as a director of the company and chairperson of the executive committee. Her departure comes just seven days after Marco Te... Tuesday, 21 August 2018 05:23

Melco Resorts confirms Studio City IPO plans in motion

Melco Resorts confirms Studio City IPO plans in motion Melco Resorts & Entertainment has confirmed that it is continuing preparations to launch an Initial Public Offering of shares in Studio City International Holdings – the holding company for its Studio City integrated resort in Macau. Updating the company’s intentions almost exactly a year s... Tuesday, 21 August 2018 04:56

Current Issue

OZ VIP: A new dawn

OZ VIP: A new dawn It has taken just 12 months for Australia’s VIP turnover to rebound following the arrests of 19 Crown Resorts employees in China in October 2016, but the balance of power between Australian operators has shifted dramatically in the process. By Ben Blaschke   Just 12 months after the release of... Sunday, 29 July 2018 22:32

Waiting for Garapan

Waiting for Garapan Imperial Pacific says it will miss another deadline for completing its Saipan casino hotel, and there’s no consensus on a completion date. Meanwhile, VIP roll and trade receivable numbers soar. By Muhammad Cohen   Imperial Pacific International continues to excel at manythings. Its monopoly ca... Sunday, 29 July 2018 22:27

License to thrill: How casino re-tendering will shape Macau’s future

License to thrill: How casino re-tendering will shape Macau’s future Professor Glenn McCartney takes a look at the impending Macau casino re-tendering process and why the government’s criteria for issuing licenses will shape the city’s tourism future. By Professor Glenn McCartney   Macau’s casino concession and sub-concession contracts will all end in a few... Sunday, 29 July 2018 22:21

Making live online gaming a reality

Making live online gaming a reality Latency has long been the ultimate challenge for online gaming operators in their quest to provide a quality product, but a new open framework technology could prove to be a game-changer. By Jaheer Abbas | Senior Director, SEA & India at Limelight Networks   It’s hard to imagine that onlin... Sunday, 29 July 2018 22:09